Earlier this Tuesday, July 21, 2020, Apple released its annual environmental progress report in which the tech firm announced its intention to become fully carbon neutral within the next ten years. The company therefore intends to move towards a structure with zero carbon emissions both in its supply chains and in its products.
To do this, the company counts on Prior to finding ways to reduce production emissions by 75% and the remaining 25% will be initiatives to eliminate carbon emissions into the atmosphere. And Apple says it is already starting its efforts by gradually increasing the number of products made with recycled materials.
Also, TechCrunch reports that the company already has its own recycling lab in Austin.
Renewable energy, solar panels, green initiatives…
Apple is reportedly already working with more than 70 energy suppliers with the aim of using 100% renewable energy in its production centers.the company, this would have the advantage of reducing its annual carbon emissions to what is produced by around three million cars. Apple is also looking into the launch of one of the world's largest solar panels.
In terms of initiatives to reduce carbon in the atmosphere, the report 'Apple mentions several projects, including that of protecting and reviving forests in Africa and South America. With all these green projects, it's no wonder that Apple has received high marks from the NGO Greenpeace in recent years.
Apple intends to fight systemic racism and climate change
In addition, the technology firm also plans to launch an " Impact accelerator which aims to invest in companies belonging to to minorities as part of its Racial Equity and Societal Justice Initiative. As the viPresident Lisa Jackson in a press release:
Systemic racism and climate change are not separate issues and they do not solicit separate solutions. We have a generational opportunity to help build a greener, fairer economy, an economy in which we develop whole new industries with the goal of giving the next generation a planet worth living in.